Not everyone is naturally photogenic and if you tend to be the awkward one in photos, know that you’re not alone.
If you don’t love having your photo taken, you’re probably no stranger to having an overly wide smile or your shoulders creeping up to your ears. The good news is that you can feel more comfortable in front of the camera and look more confident in photos.
Here are a few tips how:
1. Keep Practicing The one way to get better at something is to keep practicing. Whether you set up the timer on your phone to take selfies or pose in the mirror, the more you do it, the better you’ll get. Plus, you can build up your confidence without having an audience.
2. Choose an Angle It’s very rare for someone to have a symmetrical face, which means everyone looks better from a different angle. Spend some time comparing your face from a right or left angle to see what looks better. Now, practice posing in the mirror or in front of your smartphone with your face at the appropriate angle.
3. Think of Something That Makes You Happy While you’re practicing at home, try showing different emotions to see how it changes your face. You will find that if you make your eyes too wide, you might end up looking slightly wild. One foolproof way to look more natural in photos is to think of something that makes you happy. This will soften your eyes and your face, resulting in a naturally joyful look. Another approach is to think of someone you love right before you smile.
4. Prepare If you know there might be a camera or two around on your next outing, do a little preparation. Think about how you want to do your hair and makeup and what you can wear to feel more confident. Opt for colors that complement your skin tone, hair and eyes to really stand out in your photos.
5. Angle Your Body While it’s fine to face the camera head-on, angling your body is usually more flattering. For one, moving your arms away from your body can make you look slimmer. Slightly angling your body can also show off your waste and placing your hair to one side can show off your neck. Again, experiment with this in the mirror when you’re at home.
These tips might sound simple, but they’re effective and eventually, more and more of your photos will start to turn out the way you want.